Sunday, January 29, 2006

Why Steve doesn't get worked up

I think Steve's a little bit mistaken. Steve would get worked up if he were me
right now.

What Steve didn't mention in his post is that he has the benefit of having gone through this phase already. He was once like me...excited, passionate, and sometimes obnoxious about Libertarian principles and economics (even before he knew he was a Libertarian), but over the years I've seen his political and economic views mature at a more rapid pace than my own. So even though I know the things Steve pointed out about people's beliefs, I still haven't accepted them as given, so they still frustrate me to no end.

This is not to say that Steve isn't still passionate, because he most certainly is. But it's not that incensed, immature, honeymoon fervor that I'm still learning to bring into constructive focus. And though he's resisted my efforts to get him to coach me on various principles and issues for fear of unduly influencing my opinion, his counsel, when he has chosen to give it, has been valuable.

So...all butt kissing aside, I've had a chance to reflect on the claim Steve mentioned about discrimination at the motorcycle campground and come up with what I think is a more constructive response. Say we assume the campground opens its gates to anyone, regardless of what they drive or ride, but it continues to be frequented by motorcyclists. Would non-motorcyclists who would rather not associate with a "bunch of rowdy bikers" and therefore choose to stay at another campground be engaging in discriminatory behavior? Absolutely...and they would be well within their right of freedom of association to do so. So why the double standard?

1 comment:

Steve Miller said...

I see you've been discriminating against people who leave comment spam by deleting their postings. How dare you!